Horizon 2020 commenced in January 2014 as the new Framework Programme to implement Research and Innovation with funds of €80 billion from 2014 - 2020.
Horizon 2020 addresses all research and innovation funding that was previously provided through the Framework Programmes for Research and Technical Development (e.g. FP7), Competitiveness and Innovation Programme (CIP) and European Institute of Innovation and Technology.
Three main priorities:
- Excellence Science - Research Infrastructures, Marie Curie (Mobility Grants), Future and Emerging Technologies
- Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies (LEIT) - Components & Systems, Advanced Computing, Future Internet, Content Technologies and Information Management, Robotics, Micro and Nano-electronics and photonics
- Societal Challenges - Health, Food Security & Agriculture, Energy, Transport, Climate action and Environment, Innovation and Reflective Societies and Secure Societies
For more information, please visit
The Work Programmes for 2018 - 2020 were published on 27 October 2017. Click here to download the updated Work Programmes for LEIT, eInfrastructures, Marie Curie and Societal Challenges.
ICT is a horizontal activity that is included across a number of Work Programmes within LEIT and within Societal Challenges. Download Guide to ICT-related Activities in 2018-2020 Work Programmes
Click here to download the updated Work Programmes for LEIT, eInfrastructures, Marie Curie and Societal Challenges
Overview of ICT-39-2017 Call - Innovation Actions based on addressing end-user requirements in sub-Saharan African countries - Deadline 25 April 2017
IST-Africa Guide to 2017 Calls for Proposals in Horizon 2020 is based on updated 2017 Work Programmes to provide an overview of Calls, themes and deadlines within the Marie Curie, eInfrastructures, Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies (LEIT - International Cooperation, Future Internet, Content, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Key enabling Technologies) and each of the Societal Challenges (Health, Food Security and Agriculture, Energy, Transport, Environment, Inclusive and Reflective Societies, Secure Societies) Work Programmes.
The IST-Africa Guide to 2016 Calls for Proposals in Horizon 2020 provides an overview of Calls, themes and deadlines within the Marie Curie, eInfrastructures, Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies (LEIT) and each of the Societal Challenges Work Programmes.
IST-Africa Introduction to Horizon 2020 is designed to support newcomers to Horizon 2020 to better understand the structure, rules and expectations. Chapter 1 provides a short introduction to Horizon 2020, the role of International Cooperation including insights into African participation under FP7 and Horizon 2020 to date and summarises the key differences between FP7 and Horizon 2020. Chapter 2 provides more details in relation to Research Areas, Participation Rules, Funding Instruments and African participation under initial calls of Horizon 2020. Chapter 3 provides insights into a number of preparatory steps that need to be considered prior to preparing a proposal for submission under Horizon 2020. These include identification of relevant research areas and calls, identification of complementary partners and correct funding instrument.
IST-Africa Report on ICT Initiatives and Research Capacity in IST-Africa partner countries provides an overview of the current ICT Initiatives, Research Capacity, mapping of thematic priorities and research capacity in the context of the ICT-39 H2020 Call and updated mapping of research priorities under Horizon 2020 in Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Senegal, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania and Uganda as at January 2016. ISBN No: 978-1-905824-47-2. This is a valuable reference report to assist in identifying partners for inclusion in ICT-39 Proposals.
While there is no charge for participation at the IST-Africa Workshops, pre-registration is required. Please contact secretariat@IST-Africa.org for more information. Participants are responsible for any travel costs incurred.
- ICT 2015, Networking Session on cooperation with Africa, 21 October 2015, Lisbon, Portugal
- IST-Africa Workshop during IEEE ISTAS 2015, 11 - 12 November 2015, Dublin, Ireland
- IST-Africa Workshop during eChallenges e2015, 25 - 26 November 2015, Vilnius, Lithuania
- IST-Africa Horizon 2020 Workshop, IST-Africa 2016, 11 - 13 May 2016, Durban, South Africa
- International Cooperation session, ICT Proposers Day, 26 September 2016, Bratislava
- 24 November 2014, Bujumbura, Burundi (organised by Ministere de l'Enseignement Superieur et de la Recherche Scientifique, Burundi). Download Workshop Report
IST-Africa organised a series of national Horizon 2020 and Living Labs Training Workshops:
- 11 & 12 November 2013, University of Lesotho, Maseru, Lesotho (organised by Ministry of Communications, Science and Technology, Lesotho)
- 14 & 15 November 2013, Nampower Convention Centre, Windhoek, Namibia (organised by National Commission on Research, Science and Technology, Namibia). Download Agenda for Horizon 2020 Workshop and H2020 Workshop Report
- 21 & 22 November 2013, Mokolodi Nature Reserve, Gaborone, Botswana (organised by Ministry of Transport and Communications, Botswana). Download Agenda for Horizon 2020 Workshop and Living Lab Workshop
- 28 November 2013, Cyber Tower 1, Ebene, Mauritius (organised by National Computer Board). Download the H2020 Workshop Report
- 02 & 03 December 2013, Higher Institute for Public Administration, Av. Karl Max, Maputo, Mozambique (organised by Instituto Nacional de Tecnologias de Informacao e Comunicacao, Mozambique)
- 05 & 06 December 2013, Ghion Hotel, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (organised by Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Ethiopia). Download Agenda for Horizon 2020 Workshop and H2020 Workshop Report
- 16 & 17 December 2013, City of Science, Tunis, Tunisia (organised by Ministere de l'Enseignement Superieur et de la Recherche Scientifique) Download Agenda for Horizon 2020 Workshop and H2020 Workshop Report
- 10 February 2013, Smart Club, Smart Village, Giza, Cairo (organised by Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Egypt). Download Horizon 2020 Workshop Agenda
- 06 March 2013, Amphitheatre, Faculty of Law, University Agostinho Neto, Avenida Ho Chi Minh, Luanda, Angola (organised by Ministerio da Ciencia e Tecnologia, Angola) Download Agenda in English or Portuguese
- 15 & 16 September '14, Maseru, Lesotho (organised by Ministry of Communications, Science and Technology, Lesotho as part of Science Week)
- 22 September '14, Salle Kairouan, Hôtel Méhari, Hammamet, Tunisia (organised by Ministère de l'Enseignement Supérieur, de la Recherche Scientifique et ICT, Tunisia as pre-conference workshop to ICT4All Conference). Download Agenda for Horizon 2020 Workshop
- 29 - 30 October '14, ICT-39 Horizon 2020 Workshop, eChallenges e2014, Belfast, Northern Ireland
During January 2014, the IST-Africa Initiative and CAAST-Net Plus Project organised a series of joint Horizon 2020 Workshops in East Africa