Hosted by the Government of Namibia through the National Commission on Research, Science and Technology, and Supported by the European Commission and African Union Commission, IST-Africa Week 2017 (30 May - 02 June) is the twelfth in an annual series of Ministerial Level Technology Research Conferences.
Focused on ICT-enabled Innovation, Science and Technology related policy dialogues, Global Development, Research and Innovation Cooperation and Community Building, each conference brings together senior representatives of leading public, private, education and research organisations from 50 countries to discuss policy, share insight and identify collaboration opportunities.
IST-Africa Week is the flagship event of the IST-Africa initiative, co-funded under the European Framework Programme since 2005 - current Contract No. 723240.
The goals of the IST-Africa Conference Series are to
- Promote International Research, Innovation and Policy Cooperation and Coordination
- Showcase African Research and Innovation Capacity
- Stimulate exploitation of research results by the public, private and societal sectors
- Support Development of the Information Society and Knowledge Economy in Africa
The Final Programme features an Opening and Closing Plenary Session and a Scientific Programme with 40 thematically focused sessions featuring over 190 presenters from public, private, education and research organisations in 35 countries. Click here to download the Final Programme brochure.
Plenary Speakers and Panellists confirmed to date include:
- Hon. Dr Saara Kuugongelwa-Amadhila, Prime Minister of Namibia
- Hon. Tjekero Tweya, Minister of Information and Communication Technology, Namibia
- Mr. Nhlanhla Lupahla: Deputy Director: Innovation, Ministry of Higher Education, Training and Innovation, Namibia
- Mr Raniero Leto, First Counsellor, European Union Delegation to Namibia
- Dr Eino Mvula, CEO, National Commission on Research Science and Technology, Namibia
- Mr Mbeuta Ua-Ndjarakana, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of ICT, Namibia
- Mr. Erastus Amutenya, Deputy Permanent Secretary, Department of Public Service Information Technology Management, Office of Prime Minister
- Ms Emilia Nghikembua, Head: Legal Advice, Communications Regulatory Authority of Namibia
- Wilfred Kuria, CEO, Xnet Development Trust, Namibia
- Prof Kingo Mchombu, Pro-Vice Chancellor Academic and Research, International University of Management
- Dr Anicia Peters, Dean: Faculty of Computing and Informatics, Namibia University of Science and Technology
- Mr. John Sifani, Director: Centre for Innovation and Development, University of Namibia
- Mr Laban Hiwilepo, Chief Operations Officer, Telecom Namibia
- Mr Francesco Affinito, Head of Sector for Research and Innovation, DG DEVCO, European Commission
- Dr Towela Nyirenda-Jere, NEPAD Agency, South Africa
- Mrs Ndeshipanda Ndilula, Director, DPSITM, Office of the Prime Minister, Namibia
- Flora Ismail Tibazarwa, SAIS II, Namibia
- Dr Maike Luiken, IEEE, Canada
IST-Africa is cooperating with IEEE to organise the first IEEE Experts in Technology and Policy (ETAP) Forum on Internet Governance, Cybersecurity, Privacy and Inclusion to take place in Africa as the pre-conference event on Tuesday 30 May.
This pre-conference workshop is designed to bring together technology developers and policy makers to debate current and future Internet governance, cybersecurity and privacy issues across the African continent.
- Welcome Remarks, Mr. Nhlanhla Lupahla, Deputy Director: Innovation, Ministry of Higher Education, Training and Innovation, Namibia
- Cyber Security Awareness (CSA) in Africa, Prof Basie von Solms, Centre for Cyber Security, University of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Internet Governance and CyberSecurity in Namibia, Ms Elizabeth Kamutuezu, Acting Deputy Director: IPRM, Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, Namibia
- Cybersecurity and Multi- stakeholder Internet Governance - the case of the AU Convention on Cybersecurity, Dr. Towela Nyirenda-Jere, Principal Programme Officer, NEPAD Agency, South Africa
- Implementation of a Framework to support CyberSecurity and Internet Governance in Cameroon, Njei Check, Agence Nationale des Technologies de l'Information et de la Communication, Cameroon
followed by active group work around specific topics and feedback to the full group.
This is an invitation only event. If you believe that you can make an active contribution to this discussion, please contact the Conference Secretariat at secretariat@IST-Africa.org