On 17 July 2013, the Committee of Permanent Representative (EU Member States) endorsed the agreement reached on the Horizon 2020 Programme for Research and Innovation 2014 - 2020 by the Presidency of the Council and the European Parliament representatives in June 2013. This facilitates the formal adoption of the legislation for Horizon 2020 through a vote by the European Parliament and Council in the coming months.
Horizon 2020 is focused on three priorities: Excellent Science; Industrial Leadership and Societal Challenges. Click here for more information
Having learnt from experiences in past Framework Programmes, it is envisaged that Horizon 2020 will be less complex in terms of rules, financial management and implementation to increase the participation of universities, research centres, industry and Small and Medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
It is also envisaged that the funding model will be simplified based on a single reimbursement rate for eligible costs for all activities within an action. The reimbursement of eligible costs for research can be up to 100%, with a ceiling of reimbursement of 70% for Innovation actions closer to market and programme co-funded actions. Indirect costs will be reimbursed at a flat rate of 25% of total direct eligible costs.
It is envisaged that a dedicated SME instrument will be created to increase the participation of SMEs under Horizon 2020 funded projects.
As part of Spreading Excellence teaming of institutions and twinning of research staff will be encouraged.
Horizon 2020 like FP7 will be open to International Cooperation.
Horizon 2020 will have a budget of c €70 billion over a seven year period with the following distribution foreseen:
- Excellent Science 31.73% (European Research Council, Future and Emerging Technologies, Marie Curie Actions, Research Infrastructures);
- Industrial Leadership 22.09% (Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies, Access to risk finance, Innovative SMEs)
- Societal Challenges 38.53% (Health, Food quality and marine research, Energy, Transport, Climate action, Inclusive Societies, Secure Societies)
- Spreading Excellence and widening participation 1.06%
- Science with and for society 0.60%
- European Institute of Innovation and Technology 3.52%
- Joint Research Centre 2.47%