10 October 2014
As part of the support provided to the community, IST-Africa is presenting African Research Capacity and thematic priority areas based on IST-Africa partner countries during the International Cooperation Session during ICT Proposers' Day organised by the European Commission in Florence.
IST-Africa is specifically supporting ICT-39 (focused on engagement with Africa) in the context of LEIT 2015 Calls for Proposals, which closes on 14 April 2015.
Scope: The aim is to launch a set of targeted collaborative research projects addressing the requirements of end-user communities in developing countries. Specific technological targets could include for example co-design, adaptation, demonstration and validation (e.g. pilots) of ICT related research and innovation in relevant thematic areas addressed by Horizon 2020 including Content Technologies and Societal Challenges.
Activities under this objective should be led by a clearly defined user need/market opportunity for the technology being adapted; they should in particular include requirements of developing countries, and where possible, have the potential for wider impact by involving a number of countries from the same region. Proposals should be submitted by a complementary partnership with a particular focus on the participation of relevant developing country innovation stakeholders and end-user community representatives (e.g. relevant public, private, education and research, and societal sector organisations, Innovation Spaces and Living Labs).
- Development of relevant technology responding to specific needs and conditions of the target country.
- Reinforced international dimension of the ICT and Innovation aspects of Horizon 2020 and a higher level of international cooperation with low and middle income countries in ICT R&D and Innovation, focusing on areas that are beneficial to the target countries/region.
- IST-Africa Workshop focused on ICT-39 and African Research Capacity during eChallenges e2014, 29 - 30 October, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- IST-Africa Horizon 2020 Workshop, Lilongwe, Malawi (organised by National Commission for Science and Technology, Malawi) - 12 November '14. Download Agenda
- IST-Africa Horizon 2020 Workshop, Laico Regency Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya (organised by Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Kenya) - 14 November '14. Download Agenda
- IST-Africa Horizon 2020 Workshop, Ghion Hotel, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (organised by Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Ethiopia) - 17 November '14. Download Agenda
- IST-Africa Horizon 2020 Workshop, UNCST Offices, Kampala, Uganda (organised by Uganda National Council for Science and Technology) - 20 November '14. Download Agenda
- IST-Africa Horizon 2020 Workshop, Bujumbura, Burundi (organised by Ministere de l'Enseignement Superieur et de la Recherche Scientifique, Burundi) - 24 November '14