While a European Coordinator is still required for project proposals under FP7, a non-European partner can fulfil any role for which it can demonstrate the necessary expertise.
Organisations who can participate in FP7 include:
- Participants from EU-27 Member States
- Associate Candidate Countries (Turkey, Croatia)
- Associate States (International Agreement) - Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland
- Countries with whom EU Scientific Cooperation Agreements have been signed - Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Chile, Egypt, India, Korea, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Kazakjstan, Russia, South Africa, Tunisia, Ukraine, USA
- International Cooperation Partner Countries (ICPC-INCO - all African Countries are included) and Third countries specifically outlined in the Work Programme description for a Specific Call
Eligible Organisations include:
- Research organisations, Universities
- High-tech Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs)
- SME Associations (Specific instruments)
- Public Administrations (ERA-NET)
- Individual researchers wishing to work in another country (Marie Curie)
- Institutions running a research facility of multi-national interest
All such organisations (including legal entities established in 3rd Countries other than ICPC-INCO (International Cooperation Partner Countries)), if essential for carrying out the proposed activities) are eligible for EU funding.
The minimum consortia structure is dictated by each Call but in general there is a requirement for participation of the following:
- Three independent legal entities from three different EU Member States (MS) or Associated countries (AC)
- International (intergovernmental) organisations can participate
- Participants from Third Countries & International Cooperation Partner Countries (ICPC) must be in addition to minimum EU partner participation
Collaborative projects for Specific Cooperation Actions (SICA) dedicated to international cooperation partner countries (ICPC): minimum 4 participants of which 2 in different MS or AC and 2 in different ICPC countries unless otherwise specified
Support actions; no specific restrictions apart from inclusion of European coordinator.