29 February 2016
IST-Africa is a Strategic Partnership between International Information Management Corporation (IIMC, Ireland) and Ministries and National Councils responsible for Innovation, Science and Technology research, policy, implementation and adoption in 18 African Countries.
Founded in 2002, supported by the European Commission (EC) and African Union Commission (AUC), and co-funded under the EU Framework Programme since 2005, IST-Africa facilitates and supports:
- International Innovation, Research and Policy Cooperation
- Knowledge Sharing and Skills Transfer between IST-Africa Partners
- Collaborative Open Innovation, ICT, ICT4D, ICT Entrepreneurship and Social Entrepreneurship
- Africa - EU Strategic Partnership (ICT, Information Society, Innovation)
IST-Africa has published a number of reports to raise awareness of African ICT-related research and innovation priorities, research and innovation capacity and innovation spaces as well as ongoing activities in partner countries:
The IST-Africa Guide to National ICT Initiatives and Research Capacity provides an overview of the current ICT Initiatives, Research Capacity, mapping of thematic priorities and research capacity in the context of the ICT-39 H2020 Call and updated mapping of research priorities under Horizon 2020 in Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Senegal, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania and Uganda as at January 2016. ISBN No: 978-1-905824-47-2. This is a valuable reference report to assist in identifying partners for inclusion in ICT-39 Proposals.
The IST-Africa Report on ICT and Innovation-related Bilateral & Multilateral Cooperation Initiatives provides an overview of bi-lateral and multi-lateral cooperation with Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Senegal, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania and Uganda as at January 2016. ISBN No: 978-1-905824-48-9
The IST-Africa Report on Innovation Spaces and Living Labs provides definitions of Innovation Spaces and Living Labs, an overview of operational Innovation Spaces and Living Labs supporting ICT and Innovation related activities in IST-Africa partner countries and an Innovation Landscape map as at January 2016. ISBN No: 978-1-905824-49-6
IST-Africa also published a number of resources to assist newcomers to Horizon 2020:
- IST-Africa Introduction to Horizon 2020 is designed to support newcomers to Horizon 2020 to better understand the structure, rules and expectations. Chapter 1 provides a short introduction to Horizon 2020, the role of International Cooperation including insights into African participation under FP7 and Horizon 2020 to date and summarises the key differences between FP7 and Horizon 2020. Chapter 2 provides more details in relation to Research Areas, Participation Rules, Funding Instruments and African participation under initial calls of Horizon 2020. Chapter 3 provides insights into a number of preparatory steps that need to be considered prior to preparing a proposal for submission under Horizon 2020. These include identification of relevant research areas and calls, identification of complementary partners and correct funding instrument.
- IST-Africa Guide to 2016 Calls for Proposals in Horizon 2020 based on updated Work Programmes to provide an overview of Calls, themes and deadlines within the Marie Curie, eInfrastructures, Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies (LEIT - Components and Systems, Advanced Computing, Future Internet, Content Technologies and Information Management, Robotics and Key enabling Technologies (Micro-nano-electronics and photonics)) and each of the Societal Challenges (Health, Food Security and Agriculture, Energy, Transport, Environment, Inclusive and Reflective Societies, Secure Societies) Work Programmes.