Hosted by the Government of South Africa through the Department of Science and Innovation and Supported by the European Commission (EC) and African Union Commission (AUC), IST-Africa 2023 (31 May - 02 June, Tshwane, South Africa) is the eighteenth in an annual series of Ministerial Level Technology Research Conferences.
IST-Africa Week 2023 will provide a world-class international forum to showcase existing technology-enabled Research, Innovation and ICT4D activities and capacity in Africa, Europe and other parts of the world. The Conference Programme combines strategic keynote presentations, a High-Level Roundtable, technical and policy papers, case studies and workshops. It also provides an opportunity to identify potential partners for future research cooperation under Horizon Europe.
The goals of the IST-Africa Conference Series are to
- Support Development of the Information Society and Knowledge Economy in Africa
- Promote International Research Innovation, and Policy Cooperation and Coordination
- Showcase African Research and Innovation Capacity
- Stimulate exploitation of research results by the public and private sectors
Registration Author/Presenter Deadline 20 March, Early Bird Delegate 31 March
The IST-Africa 2023 Advance Programme incorporates 38 thematically focused sessions featuring presenters from the public, private, education, research and societal organisations from 25 countries. Thematic areas include:
- Wednesday 31 May - eHealth, Societal Implications of Technology, Next Generation Computing, Cyber Security, International Cooperation
- Thursday 01 June - eHealth, eGovernment, Technology Enhanced Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Block Chain, Cyber Security, Environmental Sustainability and Green Economy, Digital Trade, ICT-enabled Entrepreneurship, Collaborative Open Innovation
- Friday 02 June - eGovernment, Digital Skills, eAgriculture, Global Development, Collaborative Open Innovation
Authors with accepted papers should prepare updated papers using the IST-Africa paper template taking account of feedback provided and upload the final paper in Word format (.doc Word 97 - 2003) by 05 March via their My Page
After uploading the updated final paper, please send a Word document with this documentation of changes to secretariat@IST-Africa.org to assist the quality review of papers received.
Each presenter will present once in the Programme.
Any requests to change the presenting author should be sent by email to secretariat@IST-Africa.org so the paper block can be moved and online Programme updated.
Horizon Europe is the EU's key funding programme for Research and Innovation with a budget of €95.5 billion from 2021 - 2027. This includes EUR 5.4 billion from the Next Generation EU instrument, particularly to support the green and digital recovery from the COVID crisis.
The Horizon Europe budget is divided amongst a number of Pillars and associated components to create a programme supporting all areas of research and innovation. The Three key Pillars are Excellent Science; Global Challenges and Industrial Competitiveness; and Innovative Europe. The final component of Horizon Europe is focused on Strengthening the European Research Area.