Horizon 2020 commenced in January 2014 as the new Framework Programme to implement the Innovation Union with research and innovation funds of €80 billion from 2014 - 2020.
Horizon 2020 addresses all research and innovation funding that was previously provided through the Framework Programmes for Research and Technical Development (e.g. FP7), Competitiveness and Innovation Programme (CIP) and European Institute of Innovation and Technology.
Support for Research and Innovation under Horizon 2020 includes:
- Strengthening research in Science
- Strengthening Industrial leadership in Innovation, including investment in key technologies, access to capital and support for SMEs
- Address Societal challenges such as climate change, sustainable transport and mobility, affordable renewal energy, food security, ageing population
The Work Programmes for 2018 - 2020 were published on 27 October 2017 with the updated version for 2019 published on 24 July 2018. Click here to download updated Work Programmes.
IST-Africa has prepared two resources to support engagement with Horizon 2020:
- IST-Africa Introduction to Horizon 2020 is designed to support newcomers to Horizon 2020 to better understand the structure, rules and expectations.
- IST-Africa Guide to 2018 Calls for Proposals in Horizon 2020 provides an overview of Calls, themes and deadlines during 2018 within the Marie Curie, eInfrastructures, Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies (LEIT) and each of the Societal Challenges (Health, Food Security and Agriculture, Energy, Transport, Environment, Inclusive and Reflective Societies, Secure Societies) Work Programmes.